Saturday, September 29, 2012

How My Dream Game is Like Civilization


         So in thinking about a non-linear game that employed the ideas of the dream of the book, I think that the one that comes to mind for me is Civilization. The reasoning here is that the game allows the player to choose between several different ways of having success. In addition, the rewards for certain types of success differ from others. So if you were playing at one moment and had an idea of what to do, but suddenly. had to leave, when you came back if you forgot your idea, its ok. There are still several other things you can do to achieve success. As you move thru the game to different levels, you can employ proven techniques from previous levels, or you can try new ideas to continue to move ahead. Will all of this put together, it also makes for a personalized gaming experience. As far as your structures and methods for victory might be completely different from another person playing the same game who also has achieved success.
 I am not a devoted gamer, so I am sorry for using such an outdated game, but from the description in the chapter, and from what my thoughts are on civilization, I think it might be close to the "goal of gameplay."

Pic from Civilization:

No comments:

Post a Comment